Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Before and After: Pier Chest

My computer seems to be happy tonight, so I'm putting up another post while I can!

Found this Pier Chest on the side of the road. Peach paint, except for 2 drawers that had goopy brown paint. I was afraid that some of the hardware was missing, but was thrilled to find it in one of the drawers. Yay! A big THANK YOU to whoever was throwing it out.




This was the perfect time to try Annie Sloan's Chalk paint for the first time! I used Duck Egg.
No priming or sanding; I just painted 2 coats on with a brush. Then, I brushed wax on 2 of the drawers, but I didn't like how it looked kind of streaky and weathered, so I just painted another coat of paint right on top.

It left a lovely, matte finish.

I sprayed the hardware with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.




I like how it looks like it is smiling at me. What do you think?





Linking up to Piece of Work Wednesday at Primitive & Proper.


16 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

so pretty! the color is so soft and lovely- and what a HUGE improvement on the sad state it was in!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

What are your plans for this one? And what's a pier chest, I mean, other than showing the photo, do you know why it's called that?

You did a great job on this piece, I love how you take an idea and run with it--always in the right direction!

Gretchen said...

That's gorgeous! Where are you going to put it?

Nan said...

Lucky duck! It looks wonderful.

I've been wanting to try out that paint. Still haven't found a worthy project yet.

TwoWishes Tara said...

That smile is adorable!!!! Now I'm giving my own furniture the stink-eye for its complete lack of expression. Better than a frown, I guess...

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

It DOES look like it's smiling!!

Deidra said...

It IS smiling! Probably because it knows it's beautiful!

Autumn Vangor said...

It came out awesome!! I love it! Where's it going to go?

Hillarie said...

I love it!

for a different kind of girl said...

You find the best stuff! I get my hopes up when I spy a piece of furniture on someone's curb, then get closer and see a waterlogged piece of garbage, which is OK, I guess, because I'd not have a clue what to do with it after getting it home! You find hidden gems!

Also, before I'd finished this post, I thought, "Aww! Her pier chest is smiling at me!"

K A B L O O E Y said...

Man, that is one (rightfully) happy piece of furniture. It looks great. Having heard of neither oil rubbed bronze paint (gorgeous) nor a pier chest, it's nice to get me some learnin' from your blog. Thanks!

EatPlayLove said...

definitely smiling. I'm smiling, too.

Maria Wheeler, Simply Cool Stuff said...

Certainly it is screaming 'Thank you thank you thank you'... Rescued from the dump and happy. Life is good!
Beautiful work and choice of paint color. I love it!

Bee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bee said...

Uau, it became a lovely piece! You really know how to turn old things into adorable ones.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Great job!

Debbie