Thursday, May 12, 2011

Goodbye Old Friend: I Never Even Knew Your Name


I thought you might like to see something I'm posting on Craigslist tomorrow. I found this old spool rack (?) at an antique store about 10 years ago and have LOVED it.

The plan was for it to go above the cabinets in my still non-existent mudroom addition. I love its rugged, rough-hewn looks, and I like to imagine stories and life events unfolding as a strong woman used it over decades of her life. I figure her husband made it for her. His name, I believe, would have been Chet.

Now, however, it's time for it to find a new home. Is anyone familiar with these? It is over 5 1/2 feet high and is about 22 inches wide. Are there any weavers out there? I'd love to learn more about my buddy before she finds her new home.


5 comments:

M. said...

Anna,
It's me Martha,
What are you letting this go for? I think it would look rather interesting above the fireplace. It's naked at the moment. Message me on FB if you don't mind.

LauraC said...

I want it! Oh, too bad I live in SEATTLE! :-)

Cozy Friedman said...

I don't know what it is, but are you sure it's for weaving? It looks like the racks they use to display fabric trim or jewelry making supplies like chains and leather cord in the garment district. Whatever it is, I love the colors!

kim jackson said...

if i had my own place, i'd buy it... :]

Anonymous said...

Hey... do you still have that?!!
I seriously want that for my mother-in-law. I have no idea how to use Craigs list. But I can send my sister over to pick it up and store if for me until the summer. My mother in law will love it, love it, LOVE it... and she has a antique guy who will help her learn more about it.